On Sunday 5th October 2014, Parkfield Archers hosted the annual Cambridgeshire Archery Association End Of Season Open Westerns with a Short Metric V for our very young/novice junior archers. A total of 54 archers entered from as far afield as Wymondham and Burton Latimer, with ages ranging from 8 to..... modesty forbids me to reveal.
The weather was super, a very light breeze, sunshine all day and about 16 degrees. It was a special day for Annie Fowler of Parkfield Archers, who was 12 on the day and was presented with a club Fleece and Beanie as well as a Grey Goose Archery T Shirt. Everyone seemed to be very relaxed and totally enjoyed the day, and for 25 of the archers it was their very first competition. Wisbech Grammar school took the prize for the most laughter and definitely the most sweets eaten, one of the students bought a suitcase full of Rocky Road squares!! and, as a side, took the Team Event Gold Medal. They were also treated to a chat with Paralympian Archer Kenny Allen of Wymondham and were absolutely made up.
I would just like to thank the following for their assistance with this competition without whom it would never have gotten off the ground:
- Parkfield Sports Centre for the venue
- Our groovy sponsors 'Clickers Archery' of Norwich
- Lady Paramount, Sarah Fox
- Parkfield Archers and Hotshots for setting up the field, and taking it down again!!
- Alex Fletcher for stepping in at short notice and calculating the final scores
- Geoff Barham and Richard Custance, our excellent Judges, who were superb Grey Goose Archery for their support and help to me throughout the setting up of the competition and keeping me sane
- My mum, for keeping the tea and coffee flowing all morning and feeding the judges and Lady Paramount
- And most importantly ALL OF YOU WHO ENTERED!!! it was a great day and I hope you will return again to see us for a tea, chat and some archery thrown in.
Secretary & Events Organiser
Parkfield Archers and Hotshots Secretary